ELECTION & SELECTION PROCESS
- Nominations for office will be done on the evening of the session from the floor
- In order to run for Committee Chair (House or Senate), Presiding Officer, or Lobbyist you must have submitted at least 1 bill.
- Director will ask for nominations and go around to each group to get nominations for the office.
- A participant can run for an office 2 times and can run for an office at each caucus they attend.
- A school could have nominations for all 3 sessions.
- Schools can only hold 1 of the 3 major offices (Youth Governor, Speaker or President).
- If a student from a school wins the office others will not be able to run.
- The exception, if no one at that training session is nominated for the position
- A participant may hold only 1 of the 3 major offices during their years as a part of Youth in Government.
- A school can have only 1 candidate for Youth Governor.
- To be eligible to vote they must be registered by noontime on the day of the Caucus session.
- Must be present to vote, if the participant has to leave their vote can't be done in proxy
In an effort to make a bit more equitable to select leadership positions for this year we will use the following appropriation of votes:
0-3—Participant 1 Vote
4-7---Participants 2 Votes
8-12—Participants 3 Votes
13-18—Participants 4 Votes
19-25---Participants 5 Votes
+1 vote for every 5 Additional Participants
ELECTION PROCESS AT TRAINING SESSION
- Director will introduce the office and describe role and requirements
- Director will ask for nominations and ask each delegation if they have any nominations.
- Director will introduce Nominee to step to the computer to give a speech, continue through all the nominees
- After all, nominees have spoken, Director will call for the vote
- Each group will hold a discussion and cast their votes
- Delegations will text results to a designated delegation (Youth Governor) to be totaled
- Results should be sent as follows
Candidate A Name —3 Votes,
Candidate B Name —5 votes,
Candidate C Name —0 Votes
- Director will announce the winner and we will move to next election.
- Winners of offices will be asked to download from website information about their role.
TO BE A MEMBER OF THE GOVERNOR'S CABINET
Governor York will select his Cabinet Members:
If you are interested in being in the Cabinet you must complete the following
CABINET MEMBER APPLICATION
TO BECOME A CANDIDATE FOR YOUTH GOVERNOR
Those wishing to be a candidate will be nominated at each of the 3 caucus sessions, to be nominated you must:
a) Be nominated by someone from your delegation
b) Be Seconded by a member of another delegation
c) Each candidate will speak and the candidate with most votes is the winner.
Candidates cannot be elected to be a Presiding Officers
Candidates for Youth Governor must complete the YOUTH GOVERNOR'S CANDIDATE INFORMATION SHEET
ELECTION OF SENATE & HOUSE COMMITTEE CHAIRS
- Senate Chairs will be elected first, Senate Chairs must have participated in the program before.
- Nominations will be taken from the floor
- Each Candidate will speak. We will hold the election at each delegation site, and text results
- We will announce the winner and go to the next
- House Chairs will be elected after the Senate Chairs, using the same process.
THE SENATE SEATS
There will be 9 Senate Chairs elected at Caucus Sessions
There will be a Chaplain of the Senate, and Sgt at Arms of the Senate elected
The remaining seats in the Senate will be distributed in the following manner
- Each delegation of 3 or more registered prior to Registration Deadline will get 1 Senate seat.
- The remaining Senate Seats will be distributed to the delegations 1 each to the largest delegations in descending order until all seats are filled.
If you would like to be a lobbyist you must:
- Complete the LOBBYIST APPLICATION
- We will select the 12 Lobbyists from those who apply. They will be announced prior to the 1st Caucus Session
- If we don't get 12 online applications we will
- Elect the remaining positions at each training session
- Delegates interested in being Chaplain must complete the CHAPLAIN APPLICATION online.
- The Chaplain will be a member of the Senate and will make a presentation in both the House and Senate on Sunday morning
- Will offer an opening thought on Friday at the Opening Ceremony