THE GOALS OF THE YOUTH IN GOVERNMENT PROGRAM ARE:
- To provide a first-hand experience in the workings of government
- To provide an awareness of present issues and concerns of the State of Maine
- To develop leadership skills in those who participate
- To provide opportunities for students to be independent thinks
- To allow students to be involved citizens seeing how issues facing the State of Maine can be addressed
HOW IS IT SET UP?
Youth and Government is a 2 phase program,
Online Caucus Sessions, and Augusta State House Session
The Online Caucus Session:
- The Regional Training Sessions are held to prepare the participants for the Augusta Weekend.
- There will be 3 Sessions, and your delegation may decide which session you wish to attend.
- Contact the Youth in Government Office about how to be connected for any of the Training Sessions
- At each of the 3 sessions we will:
- Elect 1/3 of the Officers that will serve during the Augusta Sessions
- Prepare delegates for the Augusta Weekend Session.
The Augusta State House Session:
- The program uses the actual chambers of the House and Senate, and Capital facilities.
- Participants debate the bills that were submitted at the Training Sessions
- Serve in the leadership positions to which they were elected
- Create and publish a newspaper reporting the events of the weekend
- Have fun meeting other people from all over Maine.