SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE
Description of Role
- The Speaker of the House is the presiding officer in the House of Representatives.
- This person will control and preside over all debate in the House Chamber.
- The Speaker will receive training into the mechanics of running debate, but must have a clear understanding of parliamentary procedure, and be able to speak comfortably in front of a group.
- This role is one of the 3 major positions of the Youth in Government program.
- The Speaker of the House must be prepared to conduct the business of the House with up to 151 members of the House of Representatives.
- Contact the real Speaker of the House about use of his/her office, and to see if they would be interested in speaking at our opening session.
- Preside over all debate in the. Recognize who will speak during debate.
- Preside and rule on all motions and votes on the floor of the House.
- Be neutral and fair in allowing all sides of an issue a chance to speak on an issue.
- Attend the Leadership Training on Thursday afternoon
Attend the Leadership Session:
- MUST ATTEND LEADERSHIP SESSION, information about the session will be mailed to you prior to the event.
Scripts or additional Information: