Running for Office
There are up to 34 members of the Senate. The Members of the Senate are the only people allowed to speaking on the floor of the Senate. They are acting as though they have been elected by a district in the State of Maine. Each member serves as a member of 1 of the Joint Standing Committees. The Senate is the Legislative Body with more experienced participants and smaller to allow more deliberative debate on issues.
- Be in attendance at your regional Training Session
- Have 1 year experience having attended the Youth in Government Augusta session, or be Junior or Senior.
- Serve as a member of a committee that will be assigned by YMCA Office.
- Actively participate in the Public Hearings and Work Sessions of the Committee.
- Actively participate in the debate on the floor of the Senate.
- Take an active role in all votes that are taken on the floor of the Senate.
- Each Regional Training Session will elect either 8 Senators at large
- Delegations of 5 or more at a caucus will recieve one senator from the 8 to be selected at that caucus, delegations will designate that Senator at the end of the Session.
- All seats then available will be elected through the following process
a) Nominations will be taken from the floor
b) Each nominee will have a chance to give information
(NAME, SCHOOL, WORD THAT WILL GET THEM ELECTED)
c) Groups will vote to select the Senators
Senators WILL NOT ATTEND the Leadership Training on Thursday.
Those senators that were elected, as Committee Chairs, will attend that Training Session