Running for Office
Description of Role
||Financial Affairs Committee
|Commissioner of Economic Development
||Business and Labor Committee
|Commission of Education
|Commissioner of Human Services
||Health & Human Services Committee
|Commissioner of Natural Resources
||Natural Resources Committee
- Prepare testimony to be given in committee in support of the bills in the Governor’s package.
- Be familiar with Lobbying techniques as they lobby for Governor’s package.
- Advise the Governor on bills from their committee.
- Work with the Governor to bring in bill sponsors, and supporters to advise the Governor on bills
- Attend cabinet meetings to discuss the direction the Governor wants issues to go from his package.
- Cabinet members are not able to vote in committee, or speak on the floor of the House/Senate, they must work to influence members to speak for them, and then vote in their favor.
- They may ask the Sgt at Arms to have a member of the House or Senate meet them outside of the Chambers to ask them to speak on behalf of the Governor or Cabinet Members.
Attend the Leadership Session:
MUST ATTEND LEADERSHIP SESSION, information about the session will be mailed to you prior to the event.
Scripts or additional Information:
Review the section on Lobbying Techniques, so you understand the role.
Click here to download Testifying at a Public Hearing